Professor Howard Spencer CD. MB. BS. FRCS (Ed.) FACS.MPH (UWI)
Professor Emeritus of Cardiothoracic Surgery
University of the West Indies Mona Campus Jamaica
Registrar of Medical Council of Jamaica and Caribbean Association of Medical Councils
Professor Spencer graduated from The University of the West Indies in 1969 with the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. He obtained the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1973.He was elected Fellow of the American College of Surgeons 1984. In 1991 was awarded the Masters in Public Health Degree of the University of the West Indies.
- He was appointed Senior Lecturer in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the UWI and Consultant in Cardiothoracic Surgery University Hospital of the West Indies and the National Chest Hospital of Jamaica in 1980.
- Promoted to Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery in 1998.after being the only Cardiothoracic Surgeon serving Jamaica and the Caribbean for many years.
- In 2001 went on secondment to the UWI Clinical Teaching Programme in The Bahamas as Director. This appointment continued until 2007, with the transfer of the administration of the programme from the St. Augustine Campus to the Mona Campus. He was appointed Dean with the renaming and upgrading to the School for Clinical Medicine and Research, The Bahamas.
- He was also appointed Coordinator of UWI programmes in The Bahamas with responsibility for assisting with oversight of the Centre for Hospitality and Tourism Management (CHTM) and acted as Head of the Open Campus, Bahamas from 2007-2009
- As a mark of recognition for service given to cardiac surgery in Jamaica and the Caribbean, Professor Spencer was awarded the National Honour, Order of Distinction, Commander Class in 2001 and the Silver Musgrave Medal in 2007 by the Institute of Jamaica among many other awards
Retired from the University of the West Indies in October 2009
- Appointed Professor Emeritus of Cardiothoracic Surgery in the Department of Surgery, Radiology, Anaesthesia and Intensive Care UWI. This was accepted by the Council of the University of the West Indies in April 2012.
- Appointed Registrar of the Medical Council of Jamaica and the Caribbean Association of Medical Councils March 2011.